Service Academy Nominations
My office offers information for candidates seeking nominations to the U.S. Service Academies. Massachusetts residents of the Sixth Congressional District who wish to attend one of the U.S. Service Academies must have a completed package postmarked November 1, in order to be considered for nomination to attend one of the Academies in July of the following year.
For more information about Congressman Tierney's upcoming Academy Night 2012, please click HERE.
For further information, please contact:
Phone: (978) 531-1669
Fax: (978) 531-1996
Congressman Tierney and recent West Point Graduate Andrew Lee
The U.S. Service Academies include:
- U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York
Please note: the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a nomination. If you would like an application to this academy, you may contact the school directly at The U.S. Coast Guard Academy, Admissions Office, New London, CT 06320-4195 (Phone: 203-444-8501).
To be eligible for an appointment to a service academy, applicants must have a nomination from an authorized nominating source. Members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements listed below:
- Applicants are required to be between the ages of 17 and 22;
- Applicants are required to be citizens of the U.S.;
- Applicants must be single;
- Applicants must have minimum SAT scores of 550 verbal and 540 math OR minimum ACT scores of 24 English, 25 Math, 22 Reading, 25 Science Reasoning;
- Applicants must rank in the upper 40 percent of their class;
- Applicants must have outstanding participation and performance in high school activities (athletic and non-athletic); and
- Applicants must have good moral standing.
Interviews through my office for all eligible applicants are performed by my Screening Committee, and the selection process is very competitive. My office submits a list of 10 nominees from an unranked slate for each vacancy. The academies then select the most qualified candidates to fill the vacancies.
For more information or to request an application package, please contact my Peabody Office by calling Claudia Neidhardt at (978) 531-1669 or faxing (978) 531-1996. Alternatively, you may send me an EMAIL.
The SAT code for Congressman Tierney's office is 3575. The ACT code is 7458.